If you have issued a cheque to someone and now you want to cancel cheque or stop cheque payment in Axis Bank. Then you can do that with the help of 2 methods. In this article, we will let you know how you can cancel cheque that you have issued from your Axis Bank Account. The first method is with the help of internet banking and the other one is with the help of SMS.
SMS in the sense you need to send an SMS in the prescribed format from your registered mobile number. If you are outside somewhere and you can’t have safe access to your internet banking account. Then sending SMS to stop cheque payment in Axis Bank is the best method to follow. We will be talking about both the steps to cancel cheque in the further part of this article.
Reasons to Stop Cheque Payment?
There are various reasons why you might be stopping the cheque payment. But we have figured out a few reasons why people want to stop the payment. If you have a different reason why you want to stop cheque payment in Axis Bank, then why don’t you comment down below?
- The cheque is issued in the wrong amount.
- The cheque may have been sent to the wrong address.
- The name of the receipt of the cheque has a mistake.
- There may be disputes between the person who is issuing the cheque and receiving the amount.
- The written cheque may be lost or stolen.
- Your whole cheque book may be lost or stolen by someone.
These are some of the reasons why people want to stop cheque payment. We have found an article online which explains the reasons.
When Can a Banker Stop the Payment of Cheque?
There are certain circumstances when the banker can stop the payment of the cheque.
- If the customer of the bank requests them to hold or stop the payment of the cheque.
- If the banker is informed about the death of the customer.
- In case of a partnership, all the partners have to sign on the cheque. If not then the bank has the right to cancel cheque.
- When the cheque is damaged or torn.
- Forgery of the customer’s signature.
- If there is no sufficient balance in the account of the customer, then the banker can stop or cancel the payment.
- While writing the cheque if the amount of money in words and figures does not match then the payment will be stopped.
- In case of a joint account, all the holders need to authorize the payment if not then the payment will be stopped.
- If the cheque book or the cheque leaf is lost or stolen.
The methods which you can follow to stop cheque payment in Axis Bank are as mentioned below.
- Stop Cheque Payment in Axis Bank Online. (Internet Banking)
- Stop Cheque Payment by Sending SMS.
We will be discussing both these methods to cancel cheque which you have issued from your Axis Bank Account.
How to Stop Cheque Payment in Axis Bank by SMS?
Now, first, let us check out the procedure which you need to follow to stop cheque payment in Axis Bank by sending an SMS. But one thing you should make sure and that is you need to send this SMS from your registered mobile number only.
If you don’t send this from the mobile number that is registered with the bank records then the SMS will not be considered as valid by the bank.
There are some of the predefined SMS by the bank which needs to use for various operations. These are the reason codes which you need to include in the SMS you will be sent to the bank for performing the operations.
|Axis Bank Cheque Reason Codes|
|017||The wrong Amount Spelt|
|018||Cheque Book Not Received|
|019||Cheque Book Lost|
|020||Cheque Book Mutilated|
|021||Cheque Book Stolen|
— Axis Bank Support (@AxisBankSupport) March 26, 2015
Step 1: Take your smartphone with the registered mobile number active in it.
Step 2: Type the SMS in the format mentioned here, STOPCHQ <6 digit of Cheque No.> <Last 6 digit of the A/c No.> <3 digit Reason Code>
Step 3: Mention correct cheque number, account number, and 3 digit reason code.
Step 4: Send the SMS to 5676782 or 9717000002.
How to Stop Cheque Payment in Axis Bank Online?
If you don’t want to cancel cheque payment by sending SMS from your registered mobile number. Then you can stop the payment with the help of internet banking as well. The steps which you need to follow are as mentioned below.
But to continue with the internet banking method you need to have an activate internet banking account. If you don’t have an active internet banking account then you can get it activated by visiting the official website of the bank.
However, we recommend you to use the first method i.e. SMS method to instantly stop the payment. You can activate internet banking later on.
Step 1: Visit the official website of the Axis Bank where you can log in to your internet banking account.
Step 2: Enter your account details. You can use your debit card to log in or the Login ID pr Username and Password.
Step 3: Enter the OTP that you will receive on your registered mobile number to successfully log in to your internet banking account.
Step 4: Click on Proceed.
Step 5: Click on Services on the top menu of internet banking interface.
Step 6: Click on Request For.
Step 7: Click on Stop Cheque.
Step 8: Select the bank account associated with the cheque you have issued.
Step 9: Select the type of cheque. (Single Cheque, Multiple Cheque)
Step 10: Enter the cheque leaf number.
Step 11: Click on Proceed and follow the on-screen instructions.
These are the 11 steps that you need to follow to stop cheque payment in Axis Bank Online using internet banking services.
Note: The video credit goes to YouTube channel by name AssetYogi.
These are the two methods you can follow to stop cheque payment in Axis Bank Online and by sending SMS. We hope you are clear with all the details which are mentioned in this article. If you have any kind of doubts then you can comment down below. And if you want to be assisted instantly then you can call the customer care of Axis Bank on their toll-free number: 1-860-419-5555 or 1-860-500-5555 and talk to their customer care executive.